Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can use these in all kinds of recipes, pastas, salads, whatever floats your boats. I also like to snack on these, although the flavor is intense!
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 225° F.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, add fresh garlic, olive oil, basil, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread them out on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake for one hour, then turn off the oven and allow the tomatoes to sit overnight in the warmth of the oven.
I have made 3 trays of this recipe and am well stocked for the winter. I mixed the oil. squeezed garlic, oregano & oil in a plastic bag then threw in the tomatoes to coat them. Baked for 2 hours and left in the oven until it was completely cool. I have just done a whole tray of GREEN tomatoes and although they have a different flavor from the ripe tomatoes it is very pleasing and I can think of a dozen ways of using them including bruchettas, sauces, salads etc etc. What a before the frost garden saver!!! Thanks Mirjam this is a winner I am still picking green tomatoes from the garden
WOW! what amazing flavor these have! I added more garlic because I love it, the smell as this was cooking the first hour was the most amazing! I did let them sit all night in the oven and they are beautiful BUT next time after the first hour I am tossing these beauties with some linguini and parmesan cheese and eating them right then and there! I urge you to try these I was lucky and have a huge amount of tomatoes, but I would go out and buy them just to make this WONDERFUL recipe... thank you so much Mirjam:)
After 1 hour, they were still juicy, so I let them go another hour. My taste tester says that they reminded him of eating pizza without the crust. He especially liked the "crunchy bits" - roasted garlic. I used Juliette cherry tomatoes - a type of minature plum.