Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Saw this in Today's paper. It's from eatingwell.com and says that shredding the potatoes and onions (white onions and shallots) in a food processor as opposed to a box grater makes this recipe faster.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, about 2, scrubbed, and shredded
- 1 medium white onion, shredded
- 2 medium shallots, minced, about 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 pieces whole wheat matzo, 6-inch X 6-inch, broken into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Toss the potatoes, onions, shallots and salt into a medium bowl and transfer to a sieve set over a larger bowl; let drain for about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the potato mixture, a handful at a time, over the bowl to release excess moiture (don't oversqueeze-some moisture should remain).
- Transfer the squeezed potato to another large bowl.
- Carefully pour off the liquid in the bowl that we just squeezed the liquid into and save the pasty white sediment, potato starch, in the bottom of the bowl.
- Add this potato starch to the potato mixture and then stir in the egg.
- Put the matzo pieces in a sealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin so that you have coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumbs and pepper over the potato mixture and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until the matzo is softened, 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoons of cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir the potato mixture and cook 4 latkes per batch; place 1/4 cup potato mixture in a little of the oil and press with the back of the spatula to flatten into a 3 1/2 inch cake.
- Cook until crispy and golden, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the latkes to the prepared baking sheet. Continue with 2 more batches, using 1 tablespoons of oil per batch and reducing the heat as needed to prevent scorching.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.