Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Use chicken legs, thighs or breasts. Add breasts 5 minutes after legs as they cook more quickly. Serve with rice and stir-fried greens, or baked potatoes and salad.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 8 skinless chicken legs or 8 skinless chicken thighs or 8 skinless chicken breasts
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a roasting tray with foil.
- Put 2 tbsp oil in a small pan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery and fry until soft.
- Meanwhile, mix together the tomato paste, honey, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Once the vegetables are soft, add the ginger, fry for 2 minutes then stir in the tomato paste mix.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes. Add the mustard powder and Tabasco.
- Rub the chicken in 2 tbsp oil. Season with pepper. Arrange in a single layer in the foil-lined dish.
- Roast legs and thighs for 15 minutes and breasts for 10.
- Remove from the oven, pour over the sauce. Mix well to coat the chicken, then return to the oven and cook for 25 minutes, turning once.