Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I clipped this recipe from a 1978 issue of Family Circle. Use less or no onion if preferred.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs frying chickens
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 evaporated milk, undiluted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup grated process American cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (1 lb) canof drained whole onion (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 dash paprika
- Coat chicken with flour.
- Put chicken in a single layer, skins down, in melted butter in a baking dish.
- Bake uncovered in 425°F (hot) oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken,then bake until brown, about 20 minutes longer or till tender.
- Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 325°.
- Discard excess fat.
- Combine evaporated milk, soup, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add onions and mushrooms to chicken.
- Pour evap.
- milk mixture over chicken.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover dish with foil.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer.
Loved it! I doubled the recipe, used whole thighs and served it over white steamed rice.