1/1 Photo of Oven Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
I got this recipe off the 'Taste of Home' web site. I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to post it here for safe keeping, because it looks relatively easy to do, and I love chicken and dumplings. This is an easier version of what my mother used to make. I will update after I make it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 10 ounces frozen green peas, or
- 10 ounces vegetables, of choice
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In large saucepan, saute onions and celery in butter until tender, add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- 3Stir in flour, sugar, salt, pepper and basil.
- 4Gradually add broth, bring to boil, cook and stir until thickened.
- 5Reduce heat, and add peas / vegetables, and cook for 5 minutes (this time will depend on what veggies you're using), stirring constantly.
- 6Stir in chicken, and pour into greased 13x9" baking dish.
- 7For dumplings:.
- 8In bowl, mix together baking mix and basil. Stir in milk, until moistened.
- 9Drop by tablesoonfuls into 12 mounds over chicken mixture.
- 10Bake uncovered, in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Cover and bake additional 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted into dumpling comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.2
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 94.9 mg
- Sodium 1570.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 37.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: