Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy cheesy fondue, baked in the oven! Make night before and just pop in oven! (We usually added cubed ham, or you can add canned shrimp)
- 10 slices bread, crust removed, cut into cubes
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard or 1 teaspoon mustard, stirred into milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat eggs, milk and seasonings together.
- Stir in bread cubes, cheese and onions.
- Pour mixture into ungreased baking dish (11x7x1 1/2inch).
- This can sit in the refrigerator over night, or bake uncovered for 1 hour or until center is set.
Baked eggs? How on earth can you call that a fondue? Fondue means "melted", anything baked with eggs will solidify. Get your ideas right!!!
I hadn't had strata before. I was trying to use up eggs. It was tasty - just like mac and cheese, but too mushy for my taste.
Solid good recipe--very very fast and easy. Nice texture.