Oven braising adds an intriguing flavor that cannot be achieved by stovetop cooking. I like to serve this at room temperature with herb topped baked chicken breasts. This is a treasured recipe I found many years ago in the Boston Sunday Globe Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs cipollini onions or 2 lbs small white boiling onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 lb Canadian bacon, cut into thin matchsticks (2 thick slices)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped canned roasted bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 pinch dried thyme
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Drop the unpeeled onions into a large pan of boiling water, cook 30 seconds, then drain and rinse with cold water.
- 3Cut a thin slice off the root end of each onion and peel off the skin.
- 4Heat oil in an oven proof skillet.
- 5Add bacon, red pepper, tomato paste, broth, vinegar, bay, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 6Add onions, cover and bake 30-40 minutes or until onions are tender.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Braised Onions with Ham
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.3
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 567.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 9.4 g