Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is an easy, tasty beef stew recipe. My mom made this the other day, and not a bite was left over. The beef can be cooked the day before serving if desired, and refrigerated overnight. The day of serving, add carrots and potatoes and bake for an hour. I prefer to do it all in one day, though. Simple comfort food, great for the "meat-and-potatoes man"!
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Coat beef cubes and brown in hot Crisco.
- Add, soup, water, and onion.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven.
- Add red wine, basil, potatoes and carrots and bake 1 hour, or until tender.
This is the same recipe that my mom made while I was growing up, and I love it! We actually just make half the recipe, and we also add the basil before we bake it the first time. This is my favorite beef stew, and I would highly recommend it to anybody! Just make it during the colder months, due to the heat of the oven for 2 hours!