Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I made this for dinner tonight. We forgot to take the ribs out of the freezer so they weren't ready for the crockpot. I improvised. To a real BBQer unless it's smoked long and slow over wood it ain't BBQ. We like this anyway. Sort of "set it and forget it". You can start early in morning at lower temperature . I have done that too.
- 3 lbs country-style pork ribs
- 1 large onion, quartered,and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup water (or other liquid, I used coffee)
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Trim off excess fat from ribs.
- Place in large ovenproof pan and add liquid.
- Place onion slices over ribs.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Place in oven and cook 2-3 hours at 250.
- Mix all ingredients for sauce.
- Uncover carefully and check ribs.
- Pour sauce over ribs and recover.
- Cook until almost falling apart.
- Could be another 2-3 hours.
- Raise heat to 300- 350 and take off cover.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Don't let it dry out.