Prep 15 mins
Cook 21 hrs
A very easy recipe to make. The result is a very pleasing steak I believe. My mother made a version of this and I just put it together the best I can remember and I think it is almost as good as hers. You can use round, sirloin or any good steak for this. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 3 lbs round steaks, 3/4 in
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, as you like (or more)
- Cut steaks into 10 serving pieces.
- Pour oil into heavy skillet and brown steak on both sides.
- Arrange steak in a 9x12 glass baking dish.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet and brown lightly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer in the skillet for about 5 minutes.
- Remove and pour sauce over the steak in the baking dish.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 21/2 hours or until the meat is fork tender.
- Serve hot with favorite side dish.
This was pretty good, lots of sauce to smother the mashed potatoes in. I heeded the review of Susie D and reduced the vinegar to 1/4 C and that seemed good for us. I also only cooked for 2 hours and the meat was very tender. Thx for sharing your recipe, it reminded me of dinners my mother made.
My DH really liked this. It was tender and had a nice BBQ flavor. I used sirloin and followed the recipe exactly. I thought the sauce was a bit too vinegary, but DH thought it was fine. Thank you for sharing your recipe! *Reviewed for PAC Fall '07*