Cook2 hrs 15 mins
BEGIN with the sauce recipe several hours before you plan serving. The first steps are making a BBQ sauce. It takes some time to thicken. This is the only way to make ribs without a grill. The sauce recipe delivers a sweet-sour tang with a little bite from the vinegar. The ribs always turn out "fallin' off the bone" tender. Do not be afraid of the amount of ingredients in this recipe. The BBQ sauce can be used on anything. (For an easier time, use a commercial sauce.) After some reviews I have read, I need to revise my recipe. Boiling or simmering the sauce helps to draw flavor by allowing it to thicken or cook off the liquid leaving a condensed sauce. This is called "reducing." You are literally making your own BBQ sauce.
- 3 -4 lbs st. louis style ribs
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Frank's red hot sauce (adjust for desired level or heat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 -2 teaspoon celery seed (be careful, too much can overpower the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- -------- The sauce will take a few hours!---------.
- If you don't have that kind of time, use a commercial sauce and skip to cutting and baking ribs.
- *Do this step the night before or a few hours before serving.* You are making your own BBQ sauce! Stir ingredients, beginning with water (leave ribs and garlic salt out), into a stock pot.
- Bring to a boil. Allow to boil for about 15 minute stirring occasionally.
- Simmer uncovered, ALLOW TO REDUCE TO DESIRED THICKNESS.
- Preheat oven to 350°F when sauce has reached desired thickness.
- Cut ribs into serving sizes.
- Place in greased roasting pan or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt to taste.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes bone side up.
- Drain the grease off the ribs.
- Pour sauce over ribs.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes, basting the ribs 2-3 times during final stage.