Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From the November/December issue of Vegetarian Times.
Top Review by EmilyStrikesAgain
This was good. Reminded me of Rice a Roni (a good thing!) but homemade and much healthier. I made this as a main course but the flavors weren't complex enough for me to stand up on its own. I'd make this again, but as a side.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, white and green parts thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks and cook for 5 minutes or unil soft, stirring often.
- Raise heat to medium, add mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown.
- Srir in garlic and thyme, and cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in rice. Add wine and soy sauce, simmer 2 minutes or until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed. Add broth and 1 cup of water and return to a simmer.
- Place lid on Dutch oven and bake 45 minutes. Remove lid, and bake 30 minutes more or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from oven, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fold in peas and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper and serve.