1/2 Photos of Oven Baked Vegetarian Samosas
My daughter has been wanting me to make samosas for the longest time! Here is one I don't have to fry! Adapted from Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeds and stem removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled, grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- black pepper
- 1 roma tomato, seeded, finely chopped (plum tomato)
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4-1/2 cup vegetable stock
- flour, for rolling dough
- 2 nine inch rounds refrigerated ready made pie dough
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
Mint Cilantro Dipping Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F.
- 2Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water until tender, 5-7 minutes. Drain and reserve in the same pot you cooked them inches.
- 3Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, 5 minutes, then addd the jalapeno, ginger, garlic, coriander, curry powder, cumin, allspice, cinnamon, and salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes more. Stir in the drained potatoes, tomato, and peas. Cook for another minute. Stir in enough of the stock to moisten the mixture, then remove it from the heat and let cool.
- 4On a lightly floured surface, unroll ;the pie dough. Cut each dough round into 8 equal wedges, like a pizza. Spoon 1 tbls. of the potato filling onto the middle of each wedge. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash and fold up, bringing the three points together over the filling, then pinching at the seams to form a small pyramid. Transfer to a baking sheet and brush the samosas with the egg wash. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- 5While the samosas bake, make the dipping sauce:.
- 6Combine the mint, cilantro, jalapeno, sugar, salt, lime juice, 1 tbls. water, and the oil in the bowl of a food processor. Grate the garlic and ginger directly into the bowl, then puree until smooth. Transfer to a small serving bowl.
- 7Serve the samosas hot out of the oven with the mint cilatro dipping sauce.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Baked Vegetarian Samosas
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.9
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 252.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh mint leaves
fresh cilantro leaves