Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with this recipe so that I could make carrots with roast. I cook my roast in the crock pot, but don't like to cook my veggies with it, as they soak up all of the juice and end up with a terrible flavor. So I kind of came up with my own recipe, and it works great. Now I use this recipe any time I want to have carrots as a side dish with dinner. It goes well with lots of meat dishes, and it's easy to make. If you don't want to mess with peeling and chopping carrots, use baby carrots. I use the same recipe with potatoes, but they don't need to cook as long. If you are making this with roast or any other meat that has made its own broth, you can use that instead of beef broth from the can. I always eyeball this recipe so the measurements are approximations.
- Place carrots in oven-safe baking dish with lid.
- Pour in some beef broth (I tend to eyeball it, but the more carrots, the more broth you want--anywhere from 1/2 c to 1 c).
- Add salt, pepper, garlic any seasonings you wish and stir to coat carrots in seasonings and broth.
- Add the butter on top.
- Cover, and cook at 400 degrees for 45 min-1 hour, depending on how many carrots you are making. When they are done, the carrots will be soft and tender enough to poke a fork through easily.
- Follow the same recipe for potatoes, but allow less cooking time.
This was sooo good! We love garlic and so I was quite generous it. Excellent flavor-Thank You-
This recipe became an instant family favourite when I served it last night! I used crushed garlic (a clove) instead of garlic powder. The carrots were still hard after 1/2 hr in the oven, so just to make sure they were cooked through in time to serve with the rest of the meal, I zapped them in the microwave for 10 mins then put them back in the oven for the remaining 15 mins. Turned out great. Thanks Carrie.