Prep 8 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a light and luscious pancake filled with bacon. This billowy cloud of goodness should be served with lingonberries and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- 6 ounces salted pork fat or 6 ounces streaky bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- powdered sugar
- lingonberry preserves
- sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- To remove saltiness of pork, cover it in water in a small saucepan and boil for 2 minutes. Drain and repeat.
- Cut pork fat into small cubes. Cook the pork in a large skillet until crisp, then drain on paper towels.
- In a food processor, combine the eggs, milk, flour and lemon zest. Process until blended (or whisk in a large bowl).
- Place a 3 quart paella pan (or other low-rimed oven-proof pan) in the oven with the butter until the butter melts. Remove the pan from the oven and tilt until the butter evenly covers the bottom.
- Pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle the pork pieces evenly over the batter.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until golden and fluffy, about 20 minutes.
- Serve at once. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with berries and whipped cream.
Really loved the flavor and texture of this pancake, but I would cut back on the butter next time. I would use just enough to coat the bottom of the pan as it made a pool on top of the cake while cooking. The preserves and sugar really balanced out the flavors of the pancake. Made for the Hot Pink Panthers, ZWT9