Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you have a large enough baking dish you can throw in a few more pieces of chicken, I made this in my small roaster, but I think it would work in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, adjust all spices to taste and please do not omit the olives they are what makes this dish!
- 1 whole chicken (cut into pieces, or use chicken breasts)
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 59.16-88.74 ml oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 4.92-9.85 ml dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 (793.78 g) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 14.79 ml chicken bouillon powder (optional)
- 354.88 ml uncooked converted white rice
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 0.25 ml cinnamon
- 9.85-19.71 ml cumin
- 118.29 ml sliced green olives
- 236.59 ml Pace Picante Sauce
- 354.88 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper then add to the skillet.
- Brown on both sides then remove to a plate.
- Add in the onions, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic and chili flakes (if using) saute until soft (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in tomatoes with juice, broth, rice, chili powder, cinnamon and cumin; mix with wooden spoon and bring to a boil.
- Season with more seasoned salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a large greased baking dish or roasting pan.
- Top with the browned chicken pieces, then sprinkle the olives all over.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Uncover then spoon picante sauce over the chicken.
- To with with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Return to oven to bake 3-5 minutes.
I LOVED this recipe! I couldn't eat enough of it. I was stuffed and I still wanted more. Thank you for sharing. I used diced chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken and made brown rice ahead of time, omitted broth. I only had a can of Rotel and a couple of medium sized tomatoes (seeded and chopped) to add instead of the 2 can diced tomatoes. Turned out wonderful!
OMG! This recipe was SOOOO good! As I was putting the cheese on the top, I was thinking we don't really need this, but I'm really glad I put it on there. YUM!!! I would add more rice, though, mine came out kinda saucy. It was DELICIOUS!
This is amazing!! I was really worried about the green olives but they added alot to the dish. We loved this and it is going in regular rotation. Another winner Kittencal. Made for ZWT5.