Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 39 mins
This recipe is from Even more recipes from the back of boxes, bottles, cans and jars by Ceil Dyer. She always thought it was her mother's original recipe but it was from a Kingsford corn starch box.
- 3 lbs short rib of beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb carrot, cleaned and halved, I use baby carrots
- 1 lb potato, pared and halved, I use unpeeled red potatoes
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans
- 4 small white onions, peeled
- 13 3⁄4 ounces beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard, I use spicy brown
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Trim excess fat from meat.
- Place meat in 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 2 hours.
- Drain fat.
- Add carrots, potatoes, green beans and onions.
- Mix beef broth, mustard and horseradish.
- Pour over meat and potatoes.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Bake 1-1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Arrange meat and vegetables on serving platter and keep warm.
- Strain broth.
- Remove fat.
- Add water if necessary to make 2 cups.
- Pour in saucepan.
- Mix cornstarch and 1/4 cup water.
- Stir into saucepan.
- Bring to boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Serve gravy with meat and vegetables.