Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
From chef Jamie Oliver's show "Jamie at Home," episode "Tomatoes."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta
- 2 lbs heirloom tomatoes, cored
- 5 fresh bay leaves or 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 -6 garlic cloves
- Preheat a roasting pan in a 350F (180C) oven. Add olive oil and pancetta; return to oven until pancetta is crispy. Push to one side and add herbs.
- Put tomatoes into roasting pan, core hole down. Return to oven until tomato skins blister, about 5 minutes. Pinch off tomato skins. Toss carefully to keep tomatoes from falling apart.
- Drizzle sausage with olive oil and rub in well. Place sausages into pan, pushing down amongst the tomatoes. Toss in garlic cloves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return pan to oven for 1 hour, turning sausages once or twice.
- Serve with crusty Italian bread, polenta or rice. Drizzle with a little high-quality balsamic vinegar.
I have the "Jamie At Home" book & have made this so I thought I would post a review. This recipe is simple & tasty. I think the key is to use the best tomatoes available & also the best sausages you can find. I have used an Italian pork sausage & also a beef peppered sausage. I am pleased that our supermarket now stocks some gourmet style flavoured sausages & not just those awfully insipid thin pink things. Serve with bread to mop up the juices & maybe a salad or steamed green to round out the meal. YUM, thanks for sharing!!!
Sorry my camera isn't working because this recipe was really wonderful. I love fresh rosemary and oregano! Made for Secret Ingredient. Thanks for a super easy recipe.