Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This wonderful and very convenient way of making a creamy risotto comes from German chef Tim Mälzer. He says: "While the risotto is baking in the oven, youll have enough time to prepare a yummy dessert." I hope youll enjoy this as much as we did! :) Note: The original uses mushrooms, but I used a mix of carrots and pak choi instead. Feel free to use veggies of choice adjusting sautee time as needed.
- 200 g risotto rice (I used canaroli)
- 2 sprig fresh rosemary, minced (or 1 ts dried)
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 0.25 ml allspice (optional)
- 400 ml vegetable broth, warm (can use chicken as well)
- 100 ml apple juice (or use white wine)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 onions, diced
- 200 g vegetables, chopped (of your choice, see note above)
- 50 g parmesan cheese, grated
- aluminum foil, for covering pan
- In an oven-proof, greased (or non-stick) casserole dish combine rice, rosemary, allspice and pepper. Pour over applejuice and warm broth.
- Cover pan with aluminium foil and bake in the pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a skillet and sautee onion and garlic clove until lightly browned. Add vegetables of your choice and sautee until nearly done. Set aside.
- After the rice has baked for 25 minutes, remove from the oven, uncover and add vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and bake (uncovered) for another 10 minutes.
Aussie Swap #52: This recipe was very creamy and hearty and very easy to make! I love that I didn't have to stand over a stovetop - loved it!
Lalaloula thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. I love risotto and this was splendid. Quick and so easy to make, it turned out perfect. Rich, tender and creamy. I'll be using this recipe for a long time to come. I really enjoyed the flavor of the rosemary and allspice in the dish, they complimented one another beautifully. I choose the apple juice option for my dh and didn't miss anything. I used, sweet red pepper, french shallots, zucchini, carrotes, sweet onion and I choose freshly shredded good quality parmesan cheese for a dish to remember.
This turned out quite well, perhaps not as creamy as a traditional risotto, but close. I used one medium large onion, and that contributed a strong onion flavor, so you might want to consider how much onion to use. I used mushrooms and zucchini for the veggies. I made an error and used cold broth, so that after 25 minutes it was much too soupy. I put the dish in the microwave for 4 minutes and that got it down to the right consistency to finish the dish. I did opt for using white wine, and if you choose to use apple juice instead, then I suggest that you add a teaspoon of a mild vinegar - wine is slightly acidic, and using a bit of vinegar helps substitute for that.