Recipe by Karen From Colorado
A delicious change from the typical beef stew. Serve with crusty french bread slices. Wonderful, thick, filling meal for a cold day.
Top Review by MizzNezz
A very nice stew. I was out of green pepper, so left it out. I don't think it made a big difference, although I will add it next time. I loved the sweet potatoes in this. The sauce this made was wonderful! Will be making this again.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 3 teaspoons flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 3/4 inch thick (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat half at a time in hot oil.
- Stir flour into drippings left in the pan.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, bouillon, thyme, oregano, hot sauce, water and salt.
- Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Combine meat, sweet potatoes, onion, and green pepper in a 3 qt casserole dish.
- Stir in tomato mixture.
- Bake, covered in a 350°F oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until meat and veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Stir in peas.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes more.