From America's Test Kitchen, haven't tried yet, they looked so crunchy and delicious, can't wait to make them. The coating is interesting! Supposedly, the kettle cooked chips provide a great crunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 30 saltine crackers
- 4 cups kettle-cooked potato chips, crumbled into smaller pieces
- 2 large yellow onions, cut evenly into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1Adjust oven racks to lower-middle and upper-middle positions and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Place 1/4 cup flour in shallow baking dish. Beat egg and buttermilk together in medium bowl. Whisk remaining 1/4 cup flour, cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into buttermilk mixture.
- 3Pulse saltines and chips together in food processor until finely ground and place in separate shallow baking dish.
- 4Pull apart the rings in each round, discarding any that are less than 2 inches in diameter. Working one at a time, dredge each onion ring in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip back into bowl, then drop into crumb coating, turning ring to coat evenly. Transfer to large plate and repeat with remaining onion rings.
- 5Pour 3 tablespoons oil onto each of two rimmed baking sheets. Place in oven and heat until just smoking, about 8 minutes. Carefully tilt heated sheets to coat evenly with oil, then arrange onion rings on sheets.
- 6Bake, flipping onion rings over and switching and rotating position of baking sheets halfway through baking, until golden brown on both sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer onion rings to plates lined with paper towels to drain briefly. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Baked Onion Rings - Crunchy!
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.9
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 54.1 mg
- Sodium 293.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 6.9 g