Recipe by Donna S.
Great make ahead meal for parties and family dinners.
Top Review by rlisa661
I followed the recipe exactly and this was not like any mostaccioli I've ever had. There wasn't enough sauce and the sauce wasn't very tomatoey. The green peppers were really gross in it too, wish I would've left them out.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 16 ounces mostaccioli pasta, cooked 8 minutes, drained and tossed with
- 1 -2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large skillet, combine beef, green peppers and onion. Cook until meat has browned.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of meat sauce mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with half of the pasta.
- Then a layer of 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and all of the parmesan cheese.
- For the next layer, add 2 cups of sauce, remaining pasta and mozzarella cheese.
- Top with remaining sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- NOTE: To make ahead--completely assemble then refrigerate. Cook the assembled meal right before serving. You may have to add some cooking time because of the refrigeration. To make clean up easier, consider foil lining the baking dish. Easy clean up is so nice when entertaining!