Recipe by Khandi Howard
This is really easy and very tasty. My family likes recipes that have a big flavor blast - and this one delivers. I use Emeril's Bayou Blast seasoning to spice it up (we like it pretty spicy). It is great with a big green salad and a loaf of french bread for a complete meal. If you like to cook ahead you can do what I do - triple this recipe and bake in a big roasting pan -- then freeze in zip-loc bags for a super easy weekday supper. Just cut off bag, dump in glass bowl and microwave until hot.
- 2 cups uncle ben converted rice
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbell French onion soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbell beef broth, undiluted
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 bunch green onion, and tops chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
Directions See How It's Made
- I use 2- 3 Tablespoons of Bayou Blast to spice this up (recipe#31001).
- If you don't have any on hand you may use another cajun spice such as Tony Chachere's or use a teaspoon or so of red pepper and black pepper.
- Just season according to your family's taste.
- Cut chicken and sausage into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix together all ingredients in roaster.
- Bake at 350 degrees in oven for 1 hour& 15 minutes to 1 hour& 30 minutes.
- Stir once after 45 minutes.
- You must use a converted rice LIKE Uncle Ben’s (you can use other brands as long as they are CONVERTED RICE).
- Do not substitute or you will get sticky, mushy results.