Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is really easy and very tasty. My family likes recipes that have a big flavor blast - and this one delivers. I use Emeril's Bayou Blast seasoning to spice it up (we like it pretty spicy). It is great with a big green salad and a loaf of french bread for a complete meal. If you like to cook ahead you can do what I do - triple this recipe and bake in a big roasting pan -- then freeze in zip-loc bags for a super easy weekday supper. Just cut off bag, dump in glass bowl and microwave until hot.
- 2 cups uncle ben converted rice
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbell French onion soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbell beef broth, undiluted
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 bunch green onion, and tops chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- I use 2- 3 Tablespoons of Bayou Blast to spice this up (recipe#31001).
- If you don't have any on hand you may use another cajun spice such as Tony Chachere's or use a teaspoon or so of red pepper and black pepper.
- Just season according to your family's taste.
- Cut chicken and sausage into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix together all ingredients in roaster.
- Bake at 350 degrees in oven for 1 hour& 15 minutes to 1 hour& 30 minutes.
- Stir once after 45 minutes.
- You must use a converted rice LIKE Uncle Ben’s (you can use other brands as long as they are CONVERTED RICE).
- Do not substitute or you will get sticky, mushy results.
Excellent and so easy. I saut
Thanks for posting this great recipe! I was going to post this but since its here, I'll rate it. This recipe is so good and easy. I've made it several times and I do change it a bit. I only use 1/2 the butter and I use V&V beef sausage. The butter could probably be reduced even more and the V&V beef sausage has a nice smokey flavor and a lot lower in fat than pork sausage. I sometimes omit the chicken. I've tied to make it with just the chicken and it doesn't work...it needs the sausage. As for adding extra spice...I don't. To me the printed recipe is salty & spicy enough. I have small kids they wouldn't eat it any spicier than this.