Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This makes a great weekend breakfast/brunch. Also good with apple cinnamon bread. I have substituted skim milk for the half and half.
- 12 slices cinnamon-swirl bread or 12 slices cinnamon raisin bread
- 16 ounces half & half light cream or 16 ounces light cream
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Lightly grease a 9X13 pan.
- Arrange bread in 2 layers in pan.
- In large bowl, wisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Pour evenly over bread slices, pressing down until some of the liquid is absorbed and bread does not float.
- Bake 350F for 45 minutes, or until center reaches 160F and bread is golden brown.
I love cinnamon swirl bread, so to use that for this recipe was great! I was concerned because the top layer of bread wasn't down in the cream to soak up much of it; but when it cooked, the top layer was crispy and the bottom layer was more moist. When you eat both layers together it was perfect. Added a little warmed maple syrup and it was perfect for our 'breakfast for dinner' night. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
A very nice treat for a Sunday morning! I used cinnamon raisin bread and skim milk instead of the cream. The french toast was crispy on the edges and smooth and creamy in the middle. Warmed maple syrup in the microwave and topped with a pat of butter before serving. Wonderful! Made and reviewed for my adopted baby Legna and Pick A Chef 2012.
Great breakfast on holiday mornings...my recipe calls for "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" and probably saves some fat grams. Delicious either way. I'd misplaced my copy. Thanks for sharing, Legna.