Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
In this Thai-inspired recipe, lemon grass,lime leaves and butter bring out a unique subtle flavour.
- 1 whole fish (about 500 g)
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 100 g butter
- 1 banana leaf
- Clean fish, wash and pat dry.
- Slice the bottom 5 cm of lemon grass finely.
- Tear up the kaffir lime leaves and mix together the garlic, coriander, pepper, salt and butter in a bow. Set mixture aside.
- Wash and dry the banana leaf.
- Spread half the mixture on one side of the fish.
- In an oven-proof dish, lay the banana leaf down.
- Sprinkle half the lemon grass onto the banana leaf.
- Place the fish, buttered side down, on the banana leaf with lemon grass.
- Spread the remaining mixture on top of the fish. Sprinkle the remainder of the lemon grass.
- Set oven at 175 degrees Celsius Bake the fish for 30 to 45 minutes til fish is cooked.
- To serve, discard the lemon grass and serve fish on a bed of raw lettuce leaves and lemon wedges and a Thai chilli dip.