Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
There is very little fat in this shrimp recipe and it goes great with the pineapple salsa. As always, I sub cilantro for parsley.
- 28 large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1⁄3 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple preserves or 1⁄4 cup apricot-pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded fresh jalapeno
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Rinse shrimp and drain well on paper towels.
- Combine cornstarch, salt and cayenne pepper in shallow dish and stir with whisk.
- Place egg whites in medium bowl and beat with electric mixer until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Place coconut in shallow dish.
- Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Working 1 shrimp at a time, dredge in cornstarch mixture, dip in egg white, dredge in coconut pressing in gently with fingers.
- Place shrimp on prepared sheet.
- Repeat with remaining shrimp and lightly coat shrimp with cooking spray.
- Bake 20 minutes or until shrimp are done, turning after 10 minutes.
- Serve with pineapple salsa.
- Pineapple salsa: Gently toss pineapple, onion, cilantro, preserves, jalapeno, lime juice and pepper together until well blended.