There is almost no fat in this recipe, please make certain to generously grease your baking pan, I use the non-stick foil for this --- This complete recipe can be doubled to about 52-53 shrimp, enough to feed a crowd! If your coconut flakes are very large, then just chop them slightly, they will stick to the egg whites better. Cooking time is estimated depending on size of your shrimp --- serve the shrimp with pineapple or a fruit salsa --- your going to love this shrimp! ;-)
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow dish combine the cornstarch with salt and red pepper; stir to combine.
- Place the egg whites in a medium bowl; beat using an electric mixer on high speed until frothy (about 2 minutes).
- Place the coconut in a shallow dish.
- Working one shrimp at a time dredge the shrimp firstly in the cornstarch mixture, then dip in egg whites and then in shredded coconut.
- Place the shrimp on a foil-lined baking sheet that has been generously coated with cooking spray.
- Repeat with remaining shrimp (cornstarch, then egg white and then in coconut).
- Lightly spray the shrimp with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the shrimp are done, turn the shrimp after 10 minutes of cooking making that 10 minutes per side.