I found this recipe in an old family cookbook. It was handwritten and didnt have the original amounts for the ingredients. Its fairly easy to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (30 ounce) can whole chili peppers (remove seeds)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese (grated)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or 8 ounces longhorn cheese, grated
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 5 egg whites, whipped (if adding yolks it is more calories)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3Lay half the chilis flat into a 8X10 baking dish or pan.
- 4Sprinkle half of each type of cheese over top.
- 5Whip egg whites til frothy.
- 6Slowly add flour, salt and pepper, and milk to egg whites.
- 7Pour half of the egg mixture over the top of the cheese in pan.
- 8Place another layer of peppers.
- 9Sprinkle rest of cheese over top.
- 10Pour the rest of the egg mixture over cheese.
- 11Bake in 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes.
- 12Pour 1 can tomatoe sauce over top.
- 13Bake 15 minutes more.
- 14Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven Baked Chiles Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.2
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 455.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 16.2 g