Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe in an old family cookbook. It was handwritten and didnt have the original amounts for the ingredients. Its fairly easy to make.
- 1 (30 ounce) canwhole chili peppers (remove seeds)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese (grated)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or 8 ounces longhorn cheese, grated
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 5 egg whites, whipped (if adding yolks it is more calories)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lay half the chilis flat into a 8X10 baking dish or pan.
- Sprinkle half of each type of cheese over top.
- Whip egg whites til frothy.
- Slowly add flour, salt and pepper, and milk to egg whites.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over the top of the cheese in pan.
- Place another layer of peppers.
- Sprinkle rest of cheese over top.
- Pour the rest of the egg mixture over cheese.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes.
- Pour 1 can tomatoe sauce over top.
- Bake 15 minutes more.
- Serve hot.
These were quite tasty. I added more cheese and elimated the tomatoe sauce. I instead used green chili salsa to top off this dish. Very good! Thank you for the recipe.