Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This came out of a cookbook I bought for my daughter… but I have to admit that I really like it too! It’s a great recipe for your kids to help you make, and they think it’s so cool to cook with Cheez-it’s!
- 3 cups Cheez-It crackers (or similar, small cheddar flavored crackers)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- nonstick cooking spray (such as Pam)
- 1 lb chicken tenders (or boneless skinless breasts, cut into strips)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil (or silpat if you have it).
- Place the Cheez-it’s in a zip-lock baggie and give it to your kid to play catch, touch football, whatever. Smack the back a few times with a rolling pin… get the cheese-it’s crushed, but don’t worry if there are some larger pieces. Pour into a shallow bowl or plate.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the water. Whisk together until combined well. (something else your child can do!).
- Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, then roll around in the crushed Cheez-it’s (kids love this part!)
- Place on the cookie sheet, continue until all the chicken is coated.
- Lightly spray all coated chicken with the cooking spray.
- Bake at 350°F about 15 -20 minutes (start checking the smaller ones after 10 minutes. I always pull them out as they get cooked through so that the smallest isn’t incinerated by the time the largest piece is done cooking).
I liked this recipe but it tasted like it was missing something. I added garlic salt and onion powder to the egg, replaced the water with milk and it was a lot better. super easy and pretty tasty so 4 stars, but I need to play with it more to find the 5th star.
I love this recipe. However it can be a bit bland unless you add something. CelticLady had some great suggestions. One thing that I have found that makes it better is to mix the crackers with grated parmesan cheese, and a pinch of cayenne pepper if you like a little kick. It adds an extra demension of flavor. Very tasty.
Very good quick and easy meal. The whole family enjoyed it. Way good on the protein and carb scale too.