Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Fresh steamed broccoli can be used in place of the frozen, please make certain to hand-squeeze out excess moisture in the broccoli before using in this recipe, These make a wonderful side dish to any meal. Yield amount is for 1-inch balls only and is only approximate, you can shape into size desired. Plan ahead the mixture needs to chill for 4 hours before shaping into balls.
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped frozen broccoli
- 1 (6 ounce) package seasoned stuffing mix (use chicken or wild rice flavored)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 small eggs, beaten (or use 4 large)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- black pepper
- finely grated cheddar cheese (for topping balls or use mozzarella cheese) (optional)
- Place the frozen broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 5-6 minutes; cool and squeeze out any excess moisture with hands, place in a large bowl.
- Add in stuffing mix, Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, beaten eggs, seasoned salt, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne to taste (if using) mix until combined adjusting seasoned salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 or more hours or until all the moisture is absorbed and the mixture is completely cold.
- Shape into 1 or 1-1/2-inch balls, then place onto greased baking sheet.
- Set oven to 325.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes for 1-inch balls (bake a little longer for 1-1/2-inch balls) or until browned.
- If desired immediately sprinkle finely grated cheddar cheese on top.
I used dried minced onion, I didn't have any problem w/stuffing being wet. The flavor was awesome-but....we all found this very salty, and would omit the seasoning salt, I went w/1 tsp. garlic powder, and would decrease that to 1/2 tsp.
The flavor is excellent...the cayenne adds a little zing. I used very large eggs, and six was too many. Even after sitting in the fridge overnight, my mixture was still quite wet...the balls spread out on the baking sheet. Since the taste was so good, I'm definitely going to play around with this recipe until it works for me! Even my broccoli-hating husband thought this was good.