So good it's almost sinful! You can sprinkle pecans over the topping before adding the bread if you like.
- Spray 13x9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan, combine topping ingredients and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- DO NOT BOIL!
- Spread topping in baking dish.
- Beat eggs in a large shallow dish.
- Add milk, vanilla, and salt, and blend well.
- Dip each bread slice in egg mixture, making sure all egg mixture is absorbed.
- Place bread over topping in baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, heat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Bake uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes, or until toast is golden brown and sauce is bubbly.
- Let stand 2 minutes.
- Invert baking dish onto large platter, scraping any extra topping onto toast.
- Serve immediately.