Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
So good it's almost sinful! You can sprinkle pecans over the topping before adding the bread if you like.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 dash salt
- 6 -8 slices French bread (sliced diagonally 1 inch thick)
- Spray 13x9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan, combine topping ingredients and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- DO NOT BOIL!
- Spread topping in baking dish.
- Beat eggs in a large shallow dish.
- Add milk, vanilla, and salt, and blend well.
- Dip each bread slice in egg mixture, making sure all egg mixture is absorbed.
- Place bread over topping in baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, heat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Bake uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes, or until toast is golden brown and sauce is bubbly.
- Let stand 2 minutes.
- Invert baking dish onto large platter, scraping any extra topping onto toast.
- Serve immediately.
This is wonderful. I made it for Mothers Day Brunch 2 years ago and my Dad has requested it ever since. It is one of my favorite recipes.
When I baked this in a convection oven for 25 mins at 375, I found the top dry & the bottom too moist & runny. To correct this, I cut the bread slices in half, turned them over & broiled for 10 minutes. The result was perfect - and there were no leftovers.
Great French toast! I actually used Texas toast to make this, instead of the French bread, but it worked out just fine. DH and I agreed that this was rich and wonderful. Don't even think of putting syrup on this stuff! Only the top of this toast will become "toasty". I've submitted a photo...hope it looks as good as it tastes.