1/5 Photos of Oven-Baked, Best Ever, Juiciest Chicken
2 hrs 25 mins
Chef TraceyMae's Note:
This is a variation of a recipe from Clarks Outpost in Tioga, Texas. It's best to start it the day before so it has enough time to marinate. Everybody raves about it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups cold water
- 2 cups golden brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt (like Sea Salt)
- 2 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
DRY SEASONING RUB
- 1Mix 10 cups water, sugar and salt in a large roasting pan or stock pot.
- 2Place chicken skin side down in the water mixture (add more water if necessary to cover chicken.).
- 3Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 5Drain chicken and pat dry.
- 6Place chicken halves skin side down in a single layer on heavy large baking sheet with rim, that has been lined with aluminum foil, preferably Release foil.
- 7Brush each half with 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce.
- 8Sprinkle with 1-1/4 teaspoon of Rub.
- 9Turn halves over and repeat.
- 10Bake chicken skin sides up, basting every 20 minutes (VERY IMPORTANT) with pan juices, for about 2 hours.
- 11THIS IS WORTH THE EFFORT!
- 12If you use chicken parts, like breast, thigh or drumsticks, reduce the cooking time to 1 hour, 30 minutes-ish. And reduce cooking time even more if using a convection oven.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven-Baked, Best Ever, Juiciest Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (637 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 772.4
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 3077.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 48.6 g
- Protein 44.6 g