Recipe by b40boy
Using the basic recipes of two member's baked beans (Laudee & Richard-NYC), I altered the ingredients and quantities a bit. I baked them in the oven in a Creuset cast iron pot. These beans taste close to the ones I remember eating at the Happy Valley (local school) BBQ a couple of years ago. I'd love to get his/her recipe as they were the best I've ever tasted.
- 1 (55 ounce) can baked beans
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Open a 55 oz can of Bush's Original Baked Beans.
- Fry the bacon in a separate pan until it is medium well done.
- Wipe the strips on a paper towel to reduce the fat.
- Cut the bacon into small strips. Dice the onion and bell pepper.
- Combine bacon and all other ingredients in a pot (I used a Le Creuset 4-qt cast iron pot).
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 2-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.