Recipe by Bromleygirl
My mother's war-time recipe afternoon tea cake. No egg or butter used!. Moist and sticky,with a nice crust- delicious when buttered. All masurments are UK.
Top Review by cochelsea958
My God will surely punish you for uploading this mess. It was absolutely disgusting! I made it twice, the second time doubling the sugar called for- the extra sugar made the batch just tolerable! Didn't taste the ovaltine at all! Please don't waste your time, just enjoy something that won't waste your ovaltine-tea!
- 6 ounces self-raising flour
- 3 ounces sugar
- 1 1⁄2 ounces raisins
- 3 tablespoons ovaltine
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 pint milk (I used skimmed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Sieve flour, salt and baking soda together.
- Stir in Ovaltine and raisins.
- Fold in milk gently until completely combined.
- Pour into a lightly greased 1lb loaf tin.
- Cook for approximately an hour.
- Test with a skewer and leave to cool slightly in the tin before serving.
- Can be frozen in slices when cold and toasted to defrost.