1/2 Photos of Ova Deh Shrimp and Rice
1 hr 5 mins
From GULLAH HOME COOKING, THE DAUFUSKIE WAY. I like doing rice different sometimes, be it with vegetables or meat. This is one of those ways.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry the fatback and remove it from the pot when done, leaving the grease. Add the bell pepper and onion, then stir-fry until the onion is clear. Remove the vegetables from the pot and set aside.
- 2Add the oil to the pot; then add the flour and brown over medium heat.
- 3Add the fried fatback, water, cooked bell pepper, onion, and shrimp. Cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes, until shrimp is pink and a thin sauce forms. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Wash and drain the rice several times, add it to the pot, stir to combine the mixture, and cover.
- 5Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occassionally, until the rice is cooked (30 to 45 minutes). Note that this is a very different recipe from those that add cooked shrimp to cooked rice. In this recipe, everything cooks together, mixing flavors for some plumb good eating'.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ova Deh Shrimp and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (667 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.2
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: