Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From GULLAH HOME COOKING, THE DAUFUSKIE WAY. I like doing rice different sometimes, be it with vegetables or meat. This is one of those ways.
- 3 slices pork fatback
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 12 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 cups medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- Fry the fatback and remove it from the pot when done, leaving the grease. Add the bell pepper and onion, then stir-fry until the onion is clear. Remove the vegetables from the pot and set aside.
- Add the oil to the pot; then add the flour and brown over medium heat.
- Add the fried fatback, water, cooked bell pepper, onion, and shrimp. Cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes, until shrimp is pink and a thin sauce forms. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash and drain the rice several times, add it to the pot, stir to combine the mixture, and cover.
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occassionally, until the rice is cooked (30 to 45 minutes). Note that this is a very different recipe from those that add cooked shrimp to cooked rice. In this recipe, everything cooks together, mixing flavors for some plumb good eating'.
Outstanding Gullah recipe!!!(for those who like it spicier--add whatever you must, but this is TRUE Gullah cooking.) My only change was to use bacon to render for the fat and added it, crumbled, back into the dish to enjoy. YUM! Carried me back to my South Carolina roots for a wonderful entree!