Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Seasoned with a spicy tomato sauce, feta cheese, and ouzo, this shrimp dish can serve as a first course or an entrée. I have made this several times as a first course for a Greek-themed dinner and everyone loves it! Originally from a magazine back in the 80's that featured a gourmet Greek dinner menu and recipes.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups green onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 (16 ounce) canspetite diced tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup ouzo
- 1⁄4 cup good quality feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are tender but not browned.
- Stir in tomatoes,parsley,oregano,salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Simmer, uncovered,over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- *Can be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp and lemon juice and toss until well coated; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat 2 quarts of water to boiling.
- Drain shrimp and drop into boiling water.
- Return water to a boil (shrimp should just be turning pink); drain shrimp.
- Place shrimp in a bowl and pour ouzo over them.
- *Can be prepared ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 12 hours.
- In a large skillet heat the tomato sauce.
- Add cooked shrimp and ouzo; continue cooking just until shrimp are heated through.
- Transfer to individual ramekins or dishes, sprinkle with cheese, and serve immediately.