Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs 4 mins
Ouzo-Marinated Greek Cheese
- 12 ounces kasseri cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup ouzo, unsweetened anise liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper, coarsely ground
- pita bread
- Cut cheese lengthwise into four 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Arrange in single layer in shallow dish.
- Mix ouzo, olive oil, parsley, thyme and pepper in small bowl.
- Pour over cheese.
- Marinate at least 4 hours and up to 8 hours, turning once.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove cheese from marinade; transfer to 4 small broiler proof gratin dishes.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons marinade over each piece of cheese.
- Broil until cheese is soft and just begins to melt, about 4 minutes.
- Serve with bread.
- Notes: This starter is an easy version of the fried cheese dish, saganaki, which is traditionally paired with a glass of ouzo.
- Serve with freshly grilled pita bread.
I liked this but didn't taste the ouzo. I will omit the thyme next time as it gave the kasseri an almost musty, moldy taste. (I have a love/hate relationship with thyme.) Watch carefully, the cheese melts quickly.