Recipe by Sorrie Lue
This is my husband's favorite cake. I've been making it for him for years and he can't resist it. I found this recipe after a trip to Greece and have made a few changes to make things easier. Enjoy!
Top Review by Lili's, Rori's & Rainah's Meemaw
I made this for my husband's birthday as he loves both ouzo and sambuca. I used sambuca and doubled it in the cake and in the sauce. It was very flavorful and moist...yummy!!! Thank you for a great recipe!
- 1 (18 ounce) lemon cake mix
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) box lemon pudding mix
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup ouzo (Sambuca will also work)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
- Sprinkle walnuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil, and Ouzo.
- Pour batter into pan, over the walnuts.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Place on a rack and cool for 30 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving plate.
- Prick several times with a skewer and pour honey syrup over the top.
- To make honey syrup:.
- Combine honey, water, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cool for 30 minutes without stirring, or until mixture is syrupy (230 degrees on a candy thermometer.).
- Remove cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Stir in honey.
- Stir in Ouzo.