Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 fluid ounce ouzo
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup ouzo
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a medium sheet cake pan.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and set aside.
- Mix the shot of Ouzo with the baking soda and vanilla and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- In large bowl, at high speed, cream the butter.
- Gradually add the sugar, mixing well and add the egg yolks, beating until it is light and fluffy.
- At low speed, add the milk, the Ouzo mixture, and the coconut.
- When it is mixed together, add some flour, then some beaten egg white, again flour and then egg white, continuing until it all incorporated.
- Don't over mix it, as you want the egg whites to keep the air that has been beaten into them.
- Pour the mixture into your pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for about an hour.
- When it is done, set it aside to cool and make the syrup.
- In a saucepan, combine all of the ingredients for the syrup, except the lemon.
- Boil it for 5 minutes, then add the lemon juice.
- Pour the syrup over the cake and let it all cool before serving.