Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Next time you want to do something truly creative in the kitchen, try these rolls. They're really easy to make, but no one will think that! I kid you not__these are really fabulous! You will have 30 rolls, and they won't last long. Prep time is for rising.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water (112*)
- 1 cup warm milk (112*)
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 1⁄2-3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 4 -5 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- In small bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- In lg bowl, mix milk, shortning, sugar, salt, and egg.
- Add yeast mix; blend well.
- Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Kneed on floured board for about 7 minutes.
- Put in greased bowl, turn to grease top.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half.
- Roll each into a 15x10 rectangle.
- Mix filling ingredients until smooth.
- Spread half on each rectangle.
- Roll up, starting with the long end.
- Cut each into 15 rolls.
- Put in 2 greased 11x7 baking pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Mix glaze ingredients, spread over warm rolls.
I made these this morning for a group meeting of our condo club. The meeting was for 3 PM. By 3:30 there wasn't a single one left!!! Everyone went crazy over these! Several took the recipe home. They are very light and very very delicious!
The taste of these rolls are absolutely delicious. A really welcome treat for when you are tired of cinnamon rolls!
These are wonderful orange rolls! Had my In-laws over and they really loved these rolls. It was nice to make a different kind of roll then cinnamon rolls. Thanks MizzNezz