Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a modified recipe from Vegan Planet.
Make and share this Outrageously Good Brownies (can Be Vegan) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat chocolate chips and oil in a small saucepan over low heat, mixing occasionally until chips are melted.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix egg whites (or egg replacers and water), sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth.
- Mix in cooled chocolate, stir until very smooth.
- Stir in flour and baking powder until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Place in a 8 or 9 inch round or square pan, sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cook about 20-25 minutes or until brownie springs back when touched.
- Let cool and cut in wedges or squares.
With a few substitutions, this turned out to be a tasty and healthy brownie. I substituted whole wheat pastry flour for the all purpose flour and used 1/4 cup of sugar 1/2 cup of splenda. I also decreased the oil to 1/4 cup and added 1/4 of applesauce. After tasting the batter I added a tablespoon of cocoa powder and a pinch of salt and used the egg whites instead of the ener-g egg. Results were more cakelike than brownie-like in texture but I believe the desirable brownie texture would come if I decrease the amount of flour. Overall, a fantastic dessert with almost no-guilt. Thanks!!