Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I put this together tonight when there was nothing appetizing to eat at home, and I didn't feel up to any sort of elaborate cooking. This makes a fantastic, light, summer meal on its own, or can be served with warm garlic bread. Adjust the spices to suit your taste.
- 1⁄2 cup cooked kidney bean, cooked with salt
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup mung bean sprouts (I use a mixture of different sprouts)
- 1 tablespoon salsa (I use a mild variety)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients except the parmesan cheese in a saucepan; mix well.
- Heat over a high flame, stirring occasionally, until all the water has evaporated (around 5 minutes).
- Remove from flame, transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serve hot with warm garlic bread, or a tall glass of fruit juice.
Delicious. Both my husband and my two year old enjoyed this (I'll need to at least triple the recipe next time). I used medium salsa, and cayenne pepper instead of paprika (which I think made the dish hotter than originally intended).
I absolutely love this recipe! I'm not crazy about sprouts so I don't use as much. I also loved the extra juices so I kept it to more of a soup consistancy. Delicious, satisfying and healthy!!
Nom nom nom I am eating this now. I stuck to the recipe, except I used slightly more generous quantities (small cans of everything so e.g. about 150g of corn). The paprika and cumin work sooo well together and serving it with garlic bread was a very good call. I think mine needs a bit of extra spice (I did increase the spices but I guess not enough) but other than that this was a pleasing light dinner, although normally I'd go for something more filling.