Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From June 2012 Nutrition Action Health Letter. If you don't want to use the oven, toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet on the stovetop, remove them, and then use that same skillet to saute the tomatoes and garlic in the oil.
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat orzo
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F On a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil, toss the tomatoes and garlic with the oil and put in the oven.
- Spread the nuts on another baking sheet and put in the same oven until they are well-browned, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the nuts and continuous roasting the tomatoes until they are lightly charred, a total of 15-20 minutes.
- Stir the orzo into a pot of boiling water and boil for 6 minutes. Drain and return to the pot.
- Stir in the tomatoes and garlic. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the pine nuts, Parmesan, pepper, basil, and up to 1/2 teaspoon salt.