Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the Ocean Spray website
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup ocean spray whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup ocean spray jellied cranberry sauce
- Make cake:.
- Heat oven to 325ºF. Line an 8-inch round cake pan with foil. Coat foil with cooking spray. Dust pan with flour, tapping to remove excess.
- Microwave 2/3 cup chocolate chips, butter and unsweetened chocolate in large microwave-safe bowl on High for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Return to microwave for 30 additional seconds if necessary to melt chocolate.
- Stir in cranberry sauce and sugar, mixing well. Add eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder, stirring until well mixed. Pour batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 30 minutes. Refrigerate one hour or until cold.
- Make glaze:.
- Microwave cream and chocolate chips together in medium microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute on High. Stir until smooth. Return to microwave for 30 additional seconds if necessary to melt chocolate. Add cranberry sauce, mixing well.
- Turn cake out onto flat serving plate. Remove foil. Spread glaze over top allowing some to drip down sides of cake. Chill about 1 hour or until glaze is firm. Can be made a day ahead of time. Store at room temperature.
I attempted to make these as cupcakes as another reviewer said they had done successfully and had a really rough time of it! It was tough to know when they were done and even though a toothpick came out clean, they were not done. And I had sprayed the muffin tins with spray, which made the final product taste really oily. So, I know it was operator error and not the recipe, which is why no stars! I'm just saying "Don't make the same mistake I did!" Thanks for posting a fun one to try!
Ok, this would have been great had I not messed it up! I was talking to my grandma while making this recipe and didn't realize until it was too late that I had put in the entire 16 oz can of cranberries instead of just 1 cup. As a result, it set up more like jello than like fudge. But, I can tell from the flavor and texture that, had I paid attention to my measurements, this would have been amazing! I will try this again, being sure to measure just 1 cup, but I think I will just use jellied cranberry sauce for the whole thing because the whole berries aren't my favorite in this recipe. Thanks for submitting it though! It really was tasty, even though it was puddingy!
needed to cook a longer than 40 minutes, and the toothpick never really came out clean, but absolutely fantastic ... definately a "keeper" ... I made one batch as cupcakes, fill no more than half full... worked great! Also brush triple sec on one cake before frosting -- oh wow.