Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Over the years I've grown tired of the somewhat dry carrot cakes and the cream cheese frosting, so when the original of this recipe came to my attention I was intrigued with it. From time to time I reworked it, finally settling on this current version. One of the things I like about it is that with a little imagination, this cake can also be made into a Pineapple Upside Down Carrot Cake!
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 4 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut, grated
- 2 cups golden raisins, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease & flour a 13"x9" baking dish, preferably glass.
- In a large bowl, whisk or sift together flour, soda, cinnamon & salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, then add oil, buttermilk, sugar & vanilla, & blend well.
- Add this egg mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly, then stir in the pineapple, carrots, valnuts, coconut & raisins, & mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish & bake at least 65-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- For the glaze-- 10 MINUTES BEFORE THE CAKE IS DONE-- in a saucepan mix the sugar, soda, buttermilk, corn syrup & butter, then bring to a boil & boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat & add vanilla.
- Remove the cake from the oven & with a skewer or knife poke a number of holes into the hot cake, making sure the holes reach the bottom of the cake.
- Slowly pour the hot glaze over the hot cake, carefully spreading it all over the top of the cake, until it is absorbed.
- Let the cake cool completely, then refrigerate. DO NOT REHEAT THE CAKE!
Very nice, dark, heavy, moist choc full of raisins and flavor carrot cake. I made it according to the recipe except I omitted the coconut and forgot the vanilla in the glaze. It still turned out fabulous. I've never made a carrot cake like it! I can't figure out what it reminds me of...date nut bread?...Mine baked for only 55 minutes until testing clean. I found this even better after the 2nd day. It doesn't need it but I think I'd like to try this with cream cheese frosting. Thanks for the keeper recipe Sydney Mike!
This is so nice and moist! We loved the addition of crushed pineapple. :) I quartered the recipe to serve 6 and used an 8x8 pan. I also omitted the coconut for personal preference, and we enjoyed it 'unglazed'. It was gone in a flash! :)
Very good carrot cake! The cake came out moist and has so much good stuff in it :) My family loves it. A change from the cream cheese frosting variety. We don't like things too sweet so I reduced the sugar in the cake to 1 1/2 cup. I also only made only half of the glazing recipe. It was perfectly sweetened. Thank you for sharing Sydney Mike.