1/6 Photos of Outrageous Brownies
These are from the Barefoot Contessa by Ina Garten and they are outrageously good--the best brownie I've ever had.
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 28 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra large eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Butter and flour a 12x18x1-inch baking sheet.
- 3Melt together the butter, 1 lb. of the chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water.
- 4Allow to cool slightly.
- 5In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar.
- 6Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 7In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt.
- 8Add to the cooled chocolate mixture.
- 9Toss the walnuts and 12 oz of chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 c flour, then add them to the chocolate batter.
- 10Pour into the baking sheet.
- 11Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and dough.
- 12Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 13Do not over bake!
- 14Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into squares.
- 15Ina's notes: Flouring the chips and walnuts keeps them from sinking to the bottom.
- 16It is very important to allow the batter to cool well before adding the chips, or the chips will melt and ruin the brownies.
- 17This recipe can be baked up to a week in advance, wrapped in plastic and refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Outrageous Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (2731 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.4
- Calories from Fat 432
- Total Fat 48.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.0 g
- Cholesterol 122.4 mg
- Sodium 204.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 44.9 g
- Protein 8.7 g