This is a nice delightful soup that is easy to prepare. I personally like to use the 1015's sweet mild onions when they are in season.
- 2 cups yellow sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh pepper, ground
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup Velveeta cheese, cubes, diced (compressed in measuring cup)
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups white sauce (below)
- cheddar cheese, shredded (for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- In 2 quart sauce pan place 3 tablespoons butter and sliced onions.
- Cook at low to medium heat stirring frequently until soft and clear but not brown.
- Add chicken broth from can, chicken bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and stir until completely heated through.
- Add white sauce and Velveeta cheese. White sauce will be thick because it has been removed from the heat. Simmer on medium low heat until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are blended, stirring constantly.
- Turn temperature to warm and let cook for additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of shredded cheddar cheese, and a couple of slices of warm dark Russian Bread.
- Thick White Sauce:.
- In a 1 quart sauce pan melt butter and add flour, cook on medium heat until the flour turns thick and comes away from the sides of the sauce pan.
- Pour milk in flour a little at a time and stir constantly, add salt. Mixture should thicken and become like thick pudding.
- Remember to stir constantly taking care not to let mixture lump, set aside off from heat until ready to use for the soup.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! When we go to Outback Steakhouse, I always order this soup. It's the best I've had ever. I never thought I would find a recipe to make it!! We just finished making t is EXACTLLY the same as the walkabout soup at Outback! I would like to say to anyone making this, follow the directions when it comes to the white sauce. I raised the recipe up to 6 servings. After adding the whole milk slowly, it took about 10 minutes to become a pudding consistency. So don't get impatient with it, it WILL thicken :) We are just ecstatic right now on how great this turned out! Again, Thank you Thank you Thank you!!
WOW- this is it. I loooooove the Walkabout Soup and this is it. I made it exactly as directed, except I used 2% milk. Don't give up on your white sauce, it took mine just a bit to thicken. I can't rave enough about this recipe. Can't wait to make it with Vidalia onions.
The first time I made this is was WAYYY too salty, and I didn't add the salt due to previous reviews stating it was too salty. This recipe is delicious and so close to outbacks besides the fact that outbacks was much creamier than this. I used low sodium chicken broth(safeway brand's has less sodium than Swanson's low sodium), and a lower sodium chicken boullion that came in a packet..I can't remember what it's called it has the word herbal in it. That didn't make a too delicious flavor though so I added one chicken boullion cube without any water to match it. I have made this recipe twice in the last week, it is delicious! Everyone loves it and can't have just one bowl. For more than 3 full bowls, I recommend doubling the recipe.