1/1 Photo of Outback Steakhouse-Style Dark Bread
Galley Wench's Note:
I know there's a couple version out there . . . but this is as close to the real thing you can get! No food coloring here! I bake exclusively with instant yeast, however I've given directions for both. Original recipe is from Gloria Pitzer (queen of copycat) however I've made some minor changes! Time does not include rising time. NOTE: DO NOT USE BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES! I believe a few of the reviewers have used the wrong molasses!
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soften yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- 2Stir in sugar. Let stand 6 minutes or till bubbly.
- 3(If using instant yeast just stir the yeast and sugar into the flour).
- 4Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl combine 1 cup (1 1/2 if using instant yeast) warm water with molasses, cocoa, salt, oil, and rye flour. Beat until smooth.
- 5Add yeast water mixture, stirring to combine (if using active dry yeast).
- 6Work in all-purpose flour till dough is smooth and no longer sticky, very pliable and elastic.
- 7Knead a few minutes.
- 8Let rise till doubled in greased bowl.
- 9Punch down.
- 10Shape into 2 large round loaves placed a few inches apart on greased and cornmeal dusted cookie sheet,.
- 11Spray tops of loaves with cooking spray.
- 12Cover with towel and place in warm place till doubled.
- 13Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 14Score tops of loaves and bake for 30 minutes to 200 degrees or until crust makes a hollow sound when tapped.
- 15Cool on rack before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Outback Steakhouse-Style Dark Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1377.5
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3536.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 274.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.8 g
- Sugars 54.5 g
- Protein 33.7 g