Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
As close as we'll probably ever get to the real recipe for Outback Steakhouse's string beans.
- Steam the green beans for 8 minutes.
- Add cool water to the green beans in order to cease the cooking process. (This allows for crispy crunchiness instead of squishy beans.).
- Drain the water from the beans and set aside.
- Just before sitting down to the table (about 5 minutes) put the beans, the sugar, and the butter in a saute pan and saute them for 3-4 minutes.
- Salt and Pepper to taste and Enjoy!
I cut the sugar in half and added a liquid tsp of Maggi seasoning. Exactly outback, I swear. First I tried soy (and even a lil maple syrup) but nope, this is it.
A bit sweet for my taste. Will consider addition of garlic and cutting down on the brown sugar. Otherwise, sure to be a hit with the kids!
I haven't had Outback's green beans but I know that these were very good. I used green and yellow beans straight from my garden and did follow another suggestion and added some red pepper flakes. Tasty side!